Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Lady Gaga’s Songs: Satanic?

Your controversies are making me famous! :)
I had always been indifferent about Lady Gaga. True, I know the lyrics by heart to a couple of her songs but that’s because of personal reasons. As an artist, she’s too sexually aggressive and she promotes too much obscenity in clothing and language. But I admit it. Her songs have a striking quality that when you hear it, you become easily familiarized. In this sense, I find her somewhat likeable.

If I was indifferent, what is the reason for this analytical piece then? Well, just recently, Lady Gaga held a 2-day concert in the Philippines against and despite protests and even a prayer vigil from conservative people (or personally declaimed Christians) apparently because Lady Gaga’s songs are satanic. Basically, that is how my attention was caught. For one thing, I regard her as eccentric and weird to the point of freakiness, but I believe that’s just for the show. Personally, I think Gaga might actually be a better person than most people in her industry and she believes in God, how can she be satanic? One time, I even admired her for defending a young artist (Rebecca Black) from the harsh public criticisms. That’s a plus factor I guess, because it shows that Gaga is a person who rejoices at one’s potential.

It turned out that 2 of her songs specifically “Born This Way” and “Judas” had been stirring controversy for some time now. According to local news, “Born This Way” is recognized as a “gay anthem” and that it purportly encouraged gay people to come out and fight for their rights. I checked out the lyrics to verify this and was surprised to learn that there were but 2 lines which referred to the word “gay:”

No matter gay, straight, or bi,
lesbian, transgendered life,
I'm on the right track baby,
I was born to survive.

Actually the song was mostly about acceptance of one’s self despite the prejudice of society. To be honest, I have to commend her for this message:

I'm beautiful in my way
'Cause God makes no mistakes
I'm on the right track, baby
I was born this way

I applaud her for pointing out that the recognition is to God that every person, no matter what state he is in when he was born, is beautiful. How could this be a “gay anthem???” Moreso, how could they say that this is satanic? I think that some gays just thought this would be a best defense backed up by Lady Gaga herself, yet I’m not sure if she declared this as the song’s motive personally.  Some homosexuals would jump at anything to support the things that they think would make them happy (as in the case with Obama’s support to same-sex marriage). Gays are acceptable. But there is a limit of course, with regards to the actions and lifestyle. As for being satanic, perhaps most people just joined the bandwagon of the anti-Gaga without checking out themselves what it was about.

Onto the next song though. The lyrics of “Judas” was a bit more difficult to interpret because Lady Gaga used too much figure of speech in her message. I’m not even sure if this is to be taken literally or figuratively so I had to read a few more information about Gaga regarding this one. It turned out that this might have been a comparison to Lady Gaga’s past relationship with a guy who betrayed her, thus comparing the guy to the icon of betrayal, Judas. Or it could be an individual’s battle between the good and evil intent inside as expressed in this particular verse:

I wanna love you,
But something's pulling me away from you
Jesus is my virtue,
Judas is the demon I cling to
I cling to

I think all people have their own battle of good and evil inside them. That’s a reality that has been evident in the world long before Gaga was even born. Maybe it’s too much to accuse her of being the devil’s advocate. In fact, most of the people submitting themselves to evil may not even know Gaga exists. I mean, would murderers really give a care about Gaga’s poker face, or her extra organ? She’s just an artist who likes to thrive at controversies. And she’s successful. All this chaos are making her famous. Nevertheless, I think she could be chargeable of violating one rule in the Bible and that is:

Though shall not take the name of the Lord in vain.

4 comments:

  1. In my opinion, you have valid points Jen. But as for myself, here are my thoughts
    1. if people will continue to accuse her of being a satanist or something, she would get all those attention and publicity. If their goal is to shut her down, I guess too much publicity will not work.

    2. if a person has strong faith in God, I think it would not take even a million Lady Gagas to destroy his strength and firmness.

    At the end of the day, I think it still the person's own actions, decisions and belief that would matter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Diane. Claiming that Lady Gaga might turn the whole nation evil is a big insult to God.

      You are right. We are accountable with our own actions and decisions. Pointing fingers is just an excuse...

      Delete
  2. Hi Jenn,

    Regarding "Born this way" there is this part in the lyrics:

    A different lover is not a sin
    Believe capital H-I-M

    "A different lover" supposedly being a figurative way to refer to "Satan" and followed by H-I-M, you don't really know who it refers to. As Christians, we refer to God as "Him" with a capital "H". But I believe Satanists also do the same to refer to the one they worship.

    Music is very powerful, it can influence your feelings and your thoughts. Younger people who aren't as deeply rooted in their faith yet, when exposed to the wrong kind, will be influenced and I think they are who the conservative Christians who are opposing Lady Gaga are trying to protect. If you believe you are fighting for the soul of your children, you really can not fault them for being passionate.

    Whether people believe or not, I appreciate them raising the issue and making enough noise to be noticed, if only to raise awareness in some parents who are sometimes too busy to notice if something might be an issue. For me they accomplished their mission. People are more aware and are watching more closely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Janelle,

      I appreciate your points, they are sensible. However, I'm thinking that her songs are way too "figuratively speaking" that "a different lover" had not even struck me as referring to Satan until pointed out. Thus, the thought about this evil thing was actually invoked only when people started publishing their interpretation of her songs, which is what's more influential.

      If they really wanted to shut her out, it's just not working that way. It only stirs up curiosity until people become too involved in the issue. The sad part is, some people get easily brainwashed and it's not even attributable to the song itself but to the interpretations made by other people.

      Delete

Pre-loved Books: Sweet Valley Twins # 2 Teacher's Pet

Synopsis: Playing favorites... Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield are the best dancers in their ballet class. Both girls want to dance the...