Monday, June 11, 2012

Sassy Girl Turned 29

This is the first time I ever declared my age without hesitating to understate it haha. Not that it matters. I mean, it’s just a number. Deep inside, I am still very young at heart. Besides, birthdays are hardly that material to me. The celebration yesterday was actually accidental in nature but thank God I think we all had a blast yesterday. :)

The first thing that made me happy was the gift. Three days before my birthday, I have read a review about another great book from my friend, Diane. The minute I have read that the story was moving, I said I had to read this one. Because buying books myself always sends me off to a fight with my conscience (I am THAT frugal), I had to ask my husband to get it for me as a gift. It doesn’t matter if there is no near occasion. I could WAIT! But the lucky thing was, it’s 3 days before my birthday! He deliberately ignored me though when I sent him a chat message that I wanted the book as a gift. But it didn’t irritate me. I knew he just wanted surprise me (He’s so predictable!).  The book was, "Please Look After Mother" by Kyung-sook Shin.

The second thing that made me happy was the thought of destroying his surprise in return for ignoring me hehe. So last Friday, when I got home, I looked for signs that he had gotten out to get the book. First, I noticed that my husband had just taken a bath. That’s supposed to be unusual because normally, he takes a bath at night before going to bed, or only when he’s gone out to get rid of the germs hehe. (He’s so OC!) I told him that and asked him to which he replied his lame excuse that he went out to pay the rent. It’s such a lousy excuse considering that the landlord’s house was just a short walking distance from the house. He probably noticed that I wasn’t buying his excuse so he added that he rode the tricycle to make sure that he gets back immediately because the kids were about to wake up. Just to give a brief background, walking to the landlord’s house would take about 20 minutes back and forth. Riding would take at most 10. The kids sleep for at least 1 and a half hour hehe.

And I told him (word for word), “Your excuse is doubtful.” I was sure he went somewhere. I looked around for some clues that would give him away and found the screaming shape of a “book” inside a brown paper bag. I pointed at it and asked him, “What is this package?” That totally gave him away and destroyed all his effort to surprise me. I did get a hit in the head though, with the diaper he was holding because he was taking care of the kids at that moment, hehe. But I was overjoyed with my success. Darn, I know him too well! ;)

The third thing which made me happy was the celebration itself. On Sunday morning, we went over to mommy and daddy’s house. The kids and I dipped in the kiddie pool…


Tita Olie showing off her newborn kittens while we were at the pool =) cutie!

We had grilled fish and pork for lunch…
The fish was wrapped in banana leaves before grilling

The yummy tomato and onion stuffing and side dish
 
Grilled chops done!
And enjoyed chatting, computer gaming, and lazying around while the kids were asleep…

While the whole nation was grumbling about Pacman's loss, we were oblivious about it. Sorry... hehe.

In the afternoon, we strolled around the village…
Softdrinks in plastic... classic. ;)



Then we had pancit and ice cream for dinner…

And finally, took a family picture before going home.

Demi and Daisy computer gaming with tita Olie

It was a very simple celebration but spending time with loved ones has always been worthwhile.

And as if it wasn’t happy enough yet, the fourth thing that made me happy was, I finally got the gift officially :) My husband left the beautifully wrapped book, which I’m guessing was wrapped by the NBS store clerk, inside my bag where I found it just this morning. Surprise or no surprise, it was the best! I just can’t wait to read it.




The end…

No wait. Mom just called to ask if I was expecting a package. There were several expected packages mostly from bookmooch.com so I asked who it was from. And making the happiness overflowing, it was from Diane! Inside were the books she generously promised to me. Wow! Thanks so much Diane. I am treating these treats as a birthday gift. This is the fifth thing that made me very happy on my birthday. I know my birthday’s technically over but there was just so much happiness that a day can’t contain them. 

I just had to sigh in great contentment. Thank God for all the wonderful gifts I had just received, and had been receiving, for the past 29 years of my sassy life. :)

15 comments:

  1. Hooray! Pati ako natuwa naman :D Actually I have a side story before I have it delivered. I sent the package via LBC Robinsons Metroeast. The staff then told me, ma'am sure po kayo Cainta lang? Ay pakialamera si ateh! Bakit ba, sa gusto kong i-ship eh? Para me element of surprise. Sabi ko yes, then I rendered that fake smile.

    Natuwa naman ako, kasi lakas maka-influence ng super unstructured book review ko. hahaha And I was delighted din of the many times you mentioned my name in your bday post. I'm equally happy that I made someone happy. Hopefully, you'll enjoy the book too.

    Wishing you more happiness and birthdays in the blogosphere :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much Diane! *hugs* Natutuwa naman ako sa LBC experience mo. Ate just doesn't understand the joys of receiving books from mail. It's blissful really hehe.

      In fairness, mas magaling ka sa element of surprise kaysa sa husband ko hahaha! And your book reviews are praise worthy. 2nd book na to and I know I haven't been failed. :) I trust commentaries from great writers like you and Bes.

      Delete
  2. Happy birthday! It looks like you had fun and you look happy in your pictures. :)

    I wish you good health and long life. Ang may God bless you and your family all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nickle! Yes it was fun even in its simple way. Mababaw naman din ang kaligayahan ko hehehe. :)

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday! :) I think I might read that book as well.. thanks to Diane's recommendation. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AC! Yes, thanks to her book reviews the money doesn't go to waste hehe... ;)

      Delete
  4. Hi Jenn,
    Wish you a wonderful birthday full of joy and fun. And this is one is for you http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-SMJtcTBqU&feature=related

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dilip! The video was great, it was so festive I can almost feel like celebrating again haha! Thanks for sharing this. My husband, mom and sister-in-law will have their birthdays next and I could use this video for them. :)

      Delete
  5. I would have never guessed you are 29! For real! You look so much younger! Belated happy birthday!:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, DC, I'm flattered :D thanks for the compliment and greetings!

      Delete
  6. I am late! Oh no! Nooooooooo.

    Nevertheless, happy belated birthday PRETTY GIRL! And can I just say that I am glad it's your picture I see in your profile pic and not of the sassy girl actress herself because HONESTLY, you are prettier! You look a bit like that GMA young actress I forgot the name. Urgh!

    Happy birthday.

    And I have the same book, oh my god! I threatened a former co-worker with world war if she doesn’t keep her promise to buy me this book. One Friday night dropped by the office out of fear and handed it to me. But it's been a month now and it's still unwrapped. I'm a loon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Thank you for the compliment :D you make me blush hahaha!

      Honestly Addie, I accept gifts even when it's late haha! Just kidding. Too old for those stuffs. I appreciate the greetings though. THANKS SO MUCH!

      I'm just starting to read the book. I have to put it down though coz my kids don't leave me alone hehe. Do you make book review blogs? I'd like to know what you think about this one WHEN you get to read it hehe. :)

      Delete
    2. I don't write reviews. Or maybe I did here: http://justbeingthoughtful.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/question-344/

      I have actually been brewing up a post in relation to this book for some time now. I just haven't found time putting pen to paper (lame excuse!). And of course I have to read the book first. I have other book recommendations but then you will have to wait until the post finally get published.

      Tamad mode lang muna, pwede ba yun? Haha.

      Habibirdy again, Kris Bernal look-alike! :)

      Delete
  7. Belated happy birthday! :) I'm actually curious about that book. I keep seeing it on the display shelf at Fully Booked. Maybe one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janelle! Diane's recommendation is soooo contagious. :)

      Delete

Pre-loved Books: Sweet Valley Twins # 2 Teacher's Pet

Synopsis: Playing favorites... Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield are the best dancers in their ballet class. Both girls want to dance the...