Monday, July 30, 2012

A Likely Ghost Encounter?

PMC Hallways. View from the Accounting Department,
in front of my cubicle to be exact. Photo courtesy of my office friend, Roch.

This morning, despite the continuous rain and bad weather, I arrived at the office very early, at 7:10. I normally arrive around this time except that this morning, the office was a little more forlorn. Before reaching the 3rd floor to the Finance Department, it was evident that the lights were still out. From the stairs, I can hear Mang Pablo moving about the dark hallways busy with his usual early morning chores, so I sensed he was nearby.

I can also hear the noisy hand dryer from the female wash room as I went straight to the place just like I always do every morning to wash my face. I was even cautious to step inside expecting Mang Pablo to be there cleaning and using the hand dryer. To my relief (?), he wasn't there. Of course any girl would find it awkward to find a man inside the wash room even if he's just to clean, so to explain my relief. But to my bewilderment, there was nobody inside at all. I felt fear. But believe it or not, not because I was thinking about ghosts. I do not know why it didn't cross my mind but I even went to the dryer. In fact, I even inspected it, touching it this way and that to check what's making it work. It was automatic and works on sensor. I'm not sure how long it's been working but it was hot when I touched it so I kept my distance in case it explodes. That was my fear.

Mang Pablo emerged from the maintenance quarter beside the female wash room and I called out to ask him what could be wrong. But he was walking too quickly and the dryer too noisy such that he didn't hear me. A few seconds later though, the machine stopped. I, on the other hand, proceeded with washing my face. Just like that.

I shared this incident with my office friend, Rhen, over lunch. Her reaction gave me the overdue shivery response. These non-concrete presences are not new according to her, only that they were more rampant and extreme in the 2nd floor. Instead of dryers going crazy, they have there typewriters working on its own.

What she explained to me, the extent of its reality I don't know, was that our building used to be a hospital. But that is the case with so many buildings elsewhere, hence, it could be another urban legend. Anyway, I told her I have never really experienced anything supernatural yet. And then thinking about the experience this morning, I doubted if I should rather say, before instead of yet.

I do not dream to experience one. If this morning had been a close encounter, I was just glad that I was as insensitive as I have always been. I think I might even give a light chuckle to the ghost's poor attempt in scaring me, if it was indeed a ghost. Maybe so many ghosts had tried frightening me before as well, but to no avail. If only they could say "you're no fun to scare!"

Perhaps the trick is to think less about the supernatural and more about the practical things like a broken dryer or an automatic typewriter programmed to work on its own. That way, I keep to the rational part of my brain and become less imaginative.

12 comments:

  1. They (the ghosts) in your office are more happier now after you wrote about your encounter? with them. (dad)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not a ghost dad hehe. Probably an electrical glitch. We were experiencing power outage yesterday and I have verified with the maintenance that the power was shifted through the generator yesterday morning. Natyempuhan ko lang hehe.

      Delete
  2. You write beautifully! just stumbled upon your blog and I really love it!
    x


    D a n i e l l e | daniellewu.com
    ps. I am hosting a giveaway on my blog and I would love it if you won! :) Enter to win artwork by Mui-ko!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks for the compliment! :D

      And thank you for the invite too. I can't wait to check out the contest!

      Delete
  3. Well all the company that I worked with, (Liberty Telecoms, Belltel, Philcom), I heard the same stories from co-employees. You were not lucky enough, or maybe lucky enough, that in your case there was an incidental switching to the power generator. Sorry na lang yung ghost sa office nyo. Nawalan ng impact yung pagbibiro nya, hehe. (dad)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nase-sense siguro nila na I'm too unconscious about their presence they'd just be the laughingstock of their fellow ghosts if they tried to spook me. Wag lang silang magpapakita hehe.

      Delete
  4. Mumu stories :) Your story made me recall our days in St. Scho. Our school has its own share of long pathways too and so many ghost stories. Back then, ang aga ko dumadating parati sa school. Kaya ayun I have my own pretend-to-be-brave moments din :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Buti na lang di naman kami ganun kaaga, malayo kasi kami eh. Perhaps the story I was most scared about was the murder that supposedly happen during HS Dance which later on prohibited the loitering during this event. Have you heard about that?:D

      Delete
    2. ay parang hindi or nakalimutan ko na din hahahaha spill the beans nga ulit hahaha

      Delete
    3. It's a psycho thing hehe. Once upon a time daw, a jealous bf invited himself to the dance and hunted down his gf and the 3rd party guy. They hid inside the Bio Lab but were killed anyway. Kaya hindi na pwedeng magroam around pag dance to avoid these incidents. hehehe...

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Camilla by Madeleine L’Engle

Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Camilla Dickinson has led a sheltered life with her architect fat her and stunningly beautiful mo ther. B...