Friday, August 3, 2012

Please Look After Mother: A Reflection

I meant to make this post soon after I've finished the book, which was a relatively long time ago. I've read it in June but I wasn't sure about the impact which the book has left upon me and so consequently, I did not feel like writing about it right afterwards.

First of all, I failed to find a deep enough connection. Unlike with other books wherein I begin to feel the association mid-part with a character or characters, I had a difficult time feeling for the characters in this book. I'm not sure why. Maybe it's the style in which the book was written, from different points of view, which diverted my attention from the story itself to figuring out whose person was the story being narrated. Or maybe because it hasn't really crossed my mind that the possibility of ignoring a mother's presence to a great degree is limited only in dramas. Whatever the reason, I was only half satisfied towards the ending of the story. All throughout the book, I was anticipating their reunion with the lost mother. It never happened.

Disappointment, the hollow feeling, these were the reasons why I didn't write earlier about the book. But when I was faced with my own situation with my mother, who is in the hospital right now, suffering from a great headache and high blood pressure, I remembered the book. Today, while I was tending for my sick mother, I felt odd seeing her that way. I remembered how in the book, the author pointed out that most of us see only one part of our mothers: the part who is strong, the person who watches over our needs unceasingly, the mother who constantly prepares our food, clothing and keeps the home neat always... all our lives. That was how I felt a while ago. I felt odd because it had always been me in the hospital bed being taken cared of by my mother. It should be the other way around. I have never seen her like that before. Whenever she was confined in the hospital when we were still young, my father looked after her. I just see her when she comes back from the hospital, healthy and able again.

It's a sad feeling because I realized that mother's getting old. I do not want to face the fact that she could be getting weak also. It hurts even more because when I needed her, she was there 24/7 while I, tied up with my own obligations with the kids could not commit my whole time to look after her. I am crying inside. Deep within this heavy feeling in my heart, I know I wanted to pray... please, please look after my mother...

8 comments:

  1. I can feel your disappointment over the book. I feel sad as well because I was the one who recommended the book and more importantly, I can feel your sadness and worries for your own mom.

    I will include your mom in my prayers. God is good and He will surely look after your mom and your entire family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't feel sad about the book Diane. It was a good book with plenty of insights to ponder about. I just didn't like the ending. Maybe because I don't want to accept the idea that it could happen in real life. Because if that happens to me, I'd feel an empty part for the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope your mom feels better. =(

    I agree. We usually don't like seeing our mothers as weak because, in our mindsm they're supposed to be superwomen. I still get that unnerving feeling whenever my mom's sick. =(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tin, mom's been discharged from the hospital since last Sunday. She's still feeling dizzy but her bp dropped to a whopping 110/80 from 140/90. It's a great improvement thank God. =)

      Delete
  4. Ang sad naman.. :(

    Hope your mom gets better soon..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks AC. Thank God she's feeling a lot better now. How was the birthday blast? =)

      Delete
  5. "It's the style in which the book was written..." - May I second this? I am not yet done with the book, I'm currently reading it, and I wonder if I will ever be DONE with this book.

    Sorry to hear about your momma. Praying now for her abrupt recovery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, we're just comfortable with the conventional maybe. You gotta finish it, you never know what lessons you might pick up as I had. :)

      Thanks God mom's a lot better now. Thanks for your prayers =)

      Delete

Pre-loved Books: Sweet Valley Twins # 2 Teacher's Pet

Synopsis: Playing favorites... Elizabeth and Jessica Wakefield are the best dancers in their ballet class. Both girls want to dance the...