Thursday, July 7, 2016

How to Make: Ube Cake



As I have mentioned from my 3rd day Mommy Adventure, here is the tutorial of the Ube Cake I made for my husband’s supposed to be surprise birthday cake. It’s actually more of a story than a tutorial-because! Do not try this at home! Haha!

After clearing up the kitchen area, I was left with more or less a couple of hours to bake the cake before I go and pick up the kids from school. My feet were hurting from standing all day long so I hesitated whether I should still proceed or not. I have never tried this recipe before so it will take me longer as I have to refer to the recipe every now and then. However, I was driven by my desire to surprise my love (oh such a powerful force!) I didn’t waste another minute and started making that cake.


So there I was, trying an unfamiliar recipe, working in limited space (our kitchen’s very small) and with very few baking tools, under time pressure. Imagine the challenge! I quickly prepared all the ingredients which were kept all over the place. I was getting dizzy! My heart was racing and I thought this must be how it feels to cook at My Kitchen Rules hehehe.

This was MY recipe:

INGREDIENTS:

3 and 1/2 cups
Self Raising Flour (because that’s the only flour I have in the cupboard)
2 tsps
Baking powder
1/2 tsps
Salt
1/2 cup
Milk
2 tsps
Ube Flavouring (McCormick)
220g
Butter
1 and 1/4 cups
Light Brown Sugar
4 pcs     
Large eggs
2 cups
Ube Halaya (in bottles)
600ml
Select Thickened Cream



Here is the preparation stage wherein I have to be resourceful due to my lack of materials in baking

1.       So I mixed the flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Then I set it aside.

2.       Afterwards, I also mixed the milk and ube flavouring in whatever I could use then I set it aside too.

3.       Then I use my main big mixing bowl (because everything will eventually be put here). Using a hand mixer, I mixed the butter and sugars on high speed. This is where the panic started because the butter won’t melt at room temperature as it’s winter here. I tried heating it up a bit, but it turned part liquid and partly still very solid. I should have used vegetable oil instead…

4.       With the butter still partly frozen, I began putting in the eggs on at a time. I was using a hand mixer so I had to stop every now and then to put in an egg. The frozen butter turned into small lumpy pieces.

5.       Here, I remembered to pre-heat the oven at 170 C. Then, I began adding the milk mixture and flour mixture alternately into the butter and sugar, again, stopping the mixer every time I had to put in the ingredients.

6.       Then, I lined 2 8-inch round pans with vegetable oil on all surface plus baking paper at the bottom.

7.       I placed the batter equally on both pans and placed them in the oven. Halfway through, I had to swap the pans for more even baking.

8.       While I wait for the cakes to cook, I rinsed my bowls and mixers and everything else I used.

9.       Using the same big bowl and hand mixer, put in the thicken cream and mix until stiff peaks form. Sprinkle with sugar depending on your taste preference and add in 2tsps of ube flavouring.

10.   When the cakes were done, (poke with a stick and if the inside looks dry, it’s done) I got them out of the oven and then placed them on the kitchen counter.

11.   To my horror, on the kitchen counter, there was the bottle of ube halaya, the very main ingredient, unopened!!! 

I swear it was taunting me when I saw it!
12.   Too late to add in the halaya now. Too late to start over again. So the master of failures and remedies thought she’d just spread it in between the 2 cakes like the photo below… haaaist!

Epic fail! I just can't!
 13.   Finally, to cover up, just spread the ube cream all over the cake, add a glittery gold Happy Birthday cake topper ($2 in Kmart) and add some purple swirls as a pathetic attempt to make the cake look nice.

14.   Clean up.

It might also help if you wear the same shade of purple for selfie purposes (although this one’s coincidental – it took away the attention from the lopsided cake hahaha)

The technique is called DIVERSION
Oh well. I love trying new things. I especially get excited when I would try something that looks so good from the internet. This recipe was based from Ms. Elizabeth Q’s Ube-Purple Yam Pound Cake minus the Ube Glaze. I would like to thank and acknowledge her in this post for her awesome recipe. Without the recipe, I would have probably caused chaos in the kitchen and ended up with a HowToBasic post.

Photo Source Here
So how did the story end? I got a lot of compliments on FaceBook about how the cake and I were colour coordinated and people wanting to have a slice of it. As for the husband, he's honest enough to say that it wasn't the best but he did like the effort. Happy ending!


2 comments:

  1. What a delicious looking ube cake you made. Congrats! I am happy I was able to help with my recipe. Keep up the good work and thanks for the mention!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you dropped by ms Elizabeth! I will be looking up your other recipes for more adventures on baking. Thanks!

      Delete

Camilla by Madeleine L’Engle

Synopsis: Fifteen-year-old Camilla Dickinson has led a sheltered life with her architect fat her and stunningly beautiful mo ther. B...